If you or an AYP member you know has a financial crisis, AYP is ready to help. For nearly a century the Emergency Assistance Fund has provided financial aid when an accident, illness, death of a loved one, disaster or other crisis strikes. For nearly 100 years the Association of YMCA Professionals has supported colleagues in times of distress. National disasters, health crisis and family emergencies can trigger the need for support. Funded by the very people it helps, EAF is possible through the generous contributions of active and retired YMCA professionals. No one ever wants to be in a position to need assistance. The stories of EAF grant recipients are inspirational tales of overcoming obstacles and living with unexpected challenges.
Grants of up to $7,500 are made to active and retired Y professionals, as well as family members. The Fund is supported exclusively by the very people it helps – Y professionals. More than 1,500 active Y professionals and retirees contribute to the Fund each year.
To qualify for assistance:
- Applicant must be a member of AYP/NAFYR for the past six months (active or retired) or an immediate dependent family member.
- Medical Expenses – Persons incurring medical expenses beyond provisions of their health insurance coverage or other related expenses which result in an extreme economic hardship.
- Catastrophe – Persons who experience economic distress as a result of acts of nature (fire, flood, wind, earthquake, etc.) or other catastrophic events (accident, crime, etc.)
- Involuntary Separation – Persons who have exercised all of their options for separation benefits or unemployment insurance, or were denied separation benefits upon release and are experiencing continuing economic hardship. This basis of need is restricted to members with more than five years of YMCA employment.
- Emergency – As the name of the fund implies, the need must have resulted from an “unforseen event” and not from an exercise of “personal choice.”
Anyone may request a grant for eligible persons. If you know of someone in need, simply contact your chapter president. If the aid required does not exceed $500, chapter presidents can authorize grants and a check is immediately sent from the AYP Office.
If the need is greater than $500, the EAF chairperson and the AYP Support Services Committee review the request, then a check is mailed, usually in less than a week. The Emergency Assistance Fund depends on Y professionals like you!
Donate to EAF
110 years later, The Emergency Assistance Fund of the Association of YMCA Professionals is still providing grants to Y professionals in their time of need. In 2013 alone we awarded 33 grants totaling $206,018.53. This assistance would not be possible without the support of AYP members. As long as there is a need, EAF will be there, but we need you.